Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Profile Post

I just read an interesting blog called “Stung by the splendor of a crazy thought,” written by Avada Kedavra. This blog seems to have a similar flavor to the blog I want to write. 

She describes herself as a geeky girl who loves books, movies and music, among other things. Her posts are random and all over the place, but that’s part of the draw, isn’t it? Her posts are driven by her everyday life, and she sometimes makes connections to these moments through the books, music and movies that she is constantly exploring.

Avada does a lot of her own fiction writing based on true happenings from her life. One in particular that struck me was called “Escape,” about a boy who fails to meet his mother’s expectations. Writing on my own was not something I was thinking about partaking in, but Avada’s work has value for me nonetheless. Her writing is clear and moves the reader along. Her stories are interesting. I’d like to capture the same style when I write to my readers, even though I won’t be writing fiction like she sometimes does.

Something refreshing about Avada’s blog is that she seems open to new ideas. She said she was never really into romantic novels, but is opened up by them after reading “The Notebook” (admittedly, this might not be the flavor of literature I choose to write about, but, hey, I can get sappy every once in a while).

Avada deals with her everyday life and addresses the questions that come up in the course of her experiences, such as, ‘What did we do before cell phones?’ Here is an interesting post taking place in the prehistoric age before cell phones. Avada details getting lost while following her friends to the theater because cell phones weren’t as prevalent yet. This is what I want to do, to address life’s questions, big and small, but use examples from what I read, watch and listen to.

The blog’s technorati rating is 12,808 but that doesn’t mean the blog is not enjoyable. Avada posts on average every few weeks with no set schedule in mind. I like that mentality. I think that reveals that she doesn’t just post to post, to spew out something for the sake of it (this is one of my biggest problems with blogging). She only posts when she has something to say, when something strikes her in life and she wants to share it. It’s like talking to a good friend. You may not call them up every second of the day, but when a particularly striking moment occurs in your life — something that moved you, surprised you, excited you — you’re calling that friend first. I feel that Avada treats her blog like that friend, which gives it value.

The tone of Avada’s blog is strictly casual. She doesn’t write to try to be highbrow or make herself feel like she’s better than you. The people who post on her site talk about how they can relate to her stories, so she’s obviously making that important connection to other young people she knows. Avada’s blog may not be a specific template for my blog but it’s a good jumping off point. I will focus more on books, movies and music and how they relate to the world around us. She would sometimes review books or movies, something I’m not planning on doing. But I’m sure to be checking in with Avada for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment